24 Aug Sources: Liverpool to snub Salah bids from Saudi
Liverpool will reject any offers for Mohamed Salah, sources have told ESPN, following attempts by Saudi Arabian team Al Ittihad to make the forward the latest star player to move to the Saudi Pro League (SPL).
Salah, 31, has emerged as a target for Saudi champions Al Ittihad, who want the Egypt international to form a strike partnership with former Real Madrid forward Karim Benzema at the Jeddah-based team.
Fabinho, Salah’s former Liverpool teammate, left Liverpool for Al Ittihad in a deal worth £40 million ($50.5m) last month and sources have told ESPN that the Saudi club are prepared to pay a huge fee and wages to sign Salah, who signed a new three-year contract at Anfield in 2022.
But despite the possibility of banking a significant fee for Salah by allowing the player to leave, sources have said that Liverpool have no intention of parting company with their star forward.
Liverpool are aware of Al Ittihad’s interest, but have yet to receive any offer — formal or informal — from the club.
However, sources have said that any offers for Salah will be dismissed.
Although the Premier League summer transfer window closes on Sept. 1, the Saudi transfer window remains open until Sept. 20, enabling SPL teams to sign players from European clubs for a further three weeks after their business window closes.
Earlier this month, Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp urged FIFA and UEFA to intervene and “find solutions” to avoid European teams having players unsettled after clubs are able to replace them.